Past Grand Priors of the Order in Canada

Chev. Richard MacDowell Dumbrille CM, GCLJ(J), GOMLJ (2010 - 2013)

Dumbrille was recognized for his enormous efforts in preserving some of the Maitland area's original buildings and for his work in archiving historical statistics for the township. He began purchasing and restoring historic buildings in the Maitland area in 1959 and has since brought 24 buildings back to their former glory. He has 29 tenants in the various buildings. In 1976, Dumbrille was named a member of the Order of Canada for his endless efforts in preserving local history through the restoration of local architecture, entirely at his own expense.
Chev. Georges N. Parent, GCLJ, GOMLJ (2007 - 2010)

Georges N. Parent comes from a long line of legal professionals, as his great grandfather was the premier of Quebec, and a five-year mayor of Quebec City. In addition, his other grandfather was a judge, and his father was also a lawyer. Mr. Parent felt that this line of work was in his blood and pursued his passion with a license in laws from Universite Laval in 1966. Throughout his prestigious career, Mr. Parents has obtained a variety of awards, including becoming the Grand Prior of The Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem and the Grand Secretary General of The International Order of Saint Lazarus.
Chev. Robert Harold Vandewater, GCLJ (2004 - 2007)

Bob Vandewater, an investment advisor with CIBC Wood Gundy in Winnipeg for more than 50 years. He was also chairman of the Saskatchewan and Manitoba IDA districts, chariman of the Canadian Securities Institute and president of the Winnipeg Stock Exchange. He is honorary lieutenant colonel of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada and was the vice president of the Royal Military Institute of Manitoba.
LCol Frederic (Eric) L.R. Jackman, CM, O.Ont, CD, GCLJ, CMLJ (2001 - 2004)

Dr. Frederic L.R. Jackman, a businessman and psychologist serves as founding chair and trustee of The Psychology Foundation of Canada. Eric was educated at the Universities of British Columbia, Toronto and Chicago. Dr. Jackman is President of Invicta Investment Incorporated and Chairman of the Jackman Foundation. He is the Chancellor Emeritus of the University of Windsor and past President of the Art Gallery of Ontario, The Empire Club of Canada, and the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada, Toronto Branch, as well as being the immediate past Chair of the Atlantic Council of Canada. For his work to improve his community and Canada, Dr. Jackman has received the CMHA C.M. Hincks National Award for Mental Health, Canada’s 125th Anniversary Commemorative Medal, Her Majesty’s Golden Jubilee Medal, the Order of Ontario and two honourary doctorates.
Dr. George Aubrey Trusler CD, GCLJ, CMLJ, MD (1997 - 2001)

George had served with the Royal Canadian Navy Reserve from 1949 to 1968. He also served as an Aide de Camp to the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario for a number of years since 1961. Born and educated in Toronto, Dr. Trusler joined the staff of the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto as a cardiovascular and general surgeon in 1958, later moving to exclusive cardia surgery. He was Head of the Division of Cardiac Surgery in 1976 and became a full Professor of Surgery at the University of Toronto. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and is a member of the Royal Heraldry Society of Canada.
Col Jean-Claude Dubuc (1992 - 1997)

Retired Colonel Jean-Claude Dubuc was 19 when he dropped out of university in 1943 to enlist. A pint-size military buff who took part in the liberation of Belgium and Holland in the final months of the Second World War, Dubuc went on to command Le Régiment de Maisonneuve, a French-speaking Canadian Armed Forces reserve infantry unit in the 1960s, before taking over as commander of Quebec's Second Military District in the 1970s. Following combat in the Second World War, graduation from McGill led to a successful career in the world of insurance, while he remained active in the Regiment de Maisonneuve and became its commanding officer. His charitable and cultural endeavors included the Order of St. John and Ste. Anne's Hospital for Veterans and the Musee Stewart. He received the Order of Canada in 1988.
Chev. Andrew Austin Duncanson, KLJ (1987 - 1992)

Andrew was a soldier with the Royal Regiment of Canada during World War 2, serving in Iceland, England and Burma. He retired from service after the war with the rank of Major and earned the Burma Star for his efforts. His distinguished business career took him through the ranks of Unilever and he finished his career as Vice President of Sales and Marketing for Thomas J. Lipton & Co. Andrew was a Knight of the Order of St. Lazarus and had the privilege of being their Grand Prior for the period of 1987-1992. His latter life was devoted to his many charitable endeavors, his family and Friends. He will be remembered for his kindness and generosity.
Chev. John Cresswell Parkin, CC, OOnt (1985 - 1987)

John Cresswell Parkin, CC OOnt (March 24, 1922 – October 22, 1988) was a Canadian architect and urban planner. He received his B.Arch. from the University of Manitoba in 1944 and at Harvard University under Walter Gropius. He entered into an architectural practice with John Burnett Parkin in 1947. Projects involving Parkin: National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa, Ontario 1976. He was a Fellow of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada. He was a member of the Ontario Association of Architects and the Royal Canadian Academy of Arts, where he served as president from 1970 to 1980. In 1972 he was made a Companion of the Order of Canada "for his services to architecture, urban planning, industrial design and the arts". Sourced from wikipedia.
The Hon. Pauline Mills McGibbon, CC, OOnt (1982 - 1985)

Pauline Mills McGibbon, CC OOnt, served as the 22nd Lieutenant Governor of Ontario from 1974 to 1980. In addition to being the first woman to occupy that position, she was also the first woman to serve as a viceregal representative in Canadian history. Pauline Mills studied at Victoria College, University of Toronto and later worked with community and national organizations such as the Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire, for which she served as National President. A lifelong volunteer and supporter of the arts, Mrs. McGibbon also became president of the Dominion Drama Festival in 1948. She was the first woman to lead such organizations as the Canadian Conference of the Arts (1972) and the National Arts Centre (1980). In 1935 she married Donald McGibbon. Mrs. McGibbon served as Chancellor of the universities of Toronto and Guelph, Chairman of the National Arts Centre in Ottawa, honorary colonel of 25 (Toronto) Service Battalion and was a Director of Massey Hall and Roy Thomson Hall. She was appointed an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1967. After leaving Office, Mrs. McGibbon was promoted to be a Companion of the Order of Canada in 1980, and was appointed to the Order of Ontario in 1988. She died in Toronto in 2001, aged 91. She was buried in the family plot in the Lakeview Cemetery in Sarnia, Ontario. Sourced from wikipedia.
Col Frank Flavelle McEachern (1980 - 1982)

No biography available.
BGen J. Guy Gauvreau, DSO (1972 - 1980)

Gauvreau was born in Montreal in 1915. He became a leading figure in both the business world and in the military. After studying at Collège Mont Saint- Louis. He obtained a Bachelor of Commerce from the McGill University and a diploma from the American Management Association in New York. In 1935 he joined the Regiment Fusiliers Mont-Royal as second lieutenant and the declaration of war in 1939 he enlisted voluntarily in the active battalion. It follows the regiment in Iceland and England, to be in 1941, appointed to the staff of the 2nd Canadian Division. The following year, he was appointed aide-de-camp of Marshal Montgomery. He became commander of the first battalion of the Regiment of Fusiliers Mont-Royal from 1942 to 1944. He was aged 29 when he reached the rank of Brigadier General. It is in Normandy at the time of promotion and control the Sixth Brigade of the Second Division. During World War II, he participated in the liberation of several villages including French Dieppe Falaise and the liberation of Belgium and Holland. He was seriously wounded in Waards, Holland, October 26, 1944 when the amphibious jeep on which it takes place happens on a mine that explodes. First hospital in England, he is repatriated in 1945. He returned to service after the war as commander of a militia brigade. Promoted in 1961 Honorary Colonel, Brigadier-General Guy Gauvreau will have earned numerous honors including the Medal of Distinguish Service Order (DSO) of the British Empire, Knight of the Legion of Honour of France, Officer of the Legion of Merit (USA).
Patrick Nicholson (1970 - 1972)

No biography available.
LCol The Hon. John Keiler Mackay, OC, DSO, KStJ, VD, QC (1962 - 1970)

John Keiller MacKay was born in 1888 in the village of Plainfield, Nova Scotia in Pictou County, Nova Scotia, the son of John Duncan and Bessie (Murray) MacKay. He was educated at the Pictou Academy, the Royal Military College (1909), Saint Francis Xavier University (BA 1912) and Dalhousie University (LL.B. 1922). He was called to the Nova Scotia bar in 1922 and the Ontario bar in 1923. He was a senior partner of a law firm, "MacKay, Matheson & Martin" in Toronto and became a specialist in criminal law. He was appointed a King's Counsel in 1933. He was appointed to the Supreme Court of Ontario in 1935 and to the Ontario Court of Appeal in 1950. He became the 19th Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, serviing from December 30, 1957 to May 1, 1963. In 1967, he was made an Officer of the Order of Canada. He was also a Knight of Grace of the Venerable Order of St. John of Jerusalem and was responsible for bringing the Military and Hospitaler Order of St. Lazarus of Jerusalem to Canada. His Honour was installed as the first Canadian Grand Bailiff of the Military and Hospitaller Order of Saint Lazarus of Jerusalem and later, by magisterial decree in 1970, His honour because the Order's first Grand Prior. He died in Toronto in 1970 and is buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto.